The Essential Guide to Understanding Light
Understanding Light = Better Photos
As a photographer you need to learn about light. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a beginner or a professional – light is the most important thing in your photography. Think about it: without light, your photos simply wouldn’t exist! In fact, photography literally means “drawing with light”.
It’s no secret that light is essential to photography, and so it’s no big surprise that learning about it will help you improve.
But what is there to really understand about light?
Well, the more you understand how light works, the better your photos will be. The more you start to see how light affects everything around you, the better your photos will be. The more you know about the different qualities of light, and how they change the look and feel of your scene, the better your photos will be. And the more you practicecontrolling light, the better your photos will be.
It’s simple: You need to understand light if you want to become a better photographer.
But despite being so fundamental, light has actually been a pretty tricky thing to learn…until now!
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
- What Light Is: Understand why we see things, why they have colour, and how our camera and our eyes are different.
- How Light Behaves: Learn the three things that happen when light strikes a surface.
- How Light Affects your Photos: Discover the 4 characteristics of light responsible for the appearance or everything you see and photograph.
- Ways to Control Light: Learn the essential principles about how to control light and tips for adapting to different lighting situations
- Language of Light: You’ll develop a vocabulary that will help you describe light in your photos and in the real world.
- Reading the Light: Discover our framework for evaluating the light in a scene, as well as in photographs.
- Real World Examples: We share the challenges of various indoor and outdoor lighting scenarios and tips for working with the light
So How Will This Guide Help You?
We’re glad you asked!
This guide is going to help you understand the essentials of light. You’ll learn to think more about light, and become more aware of how light affects everything you see. You’ll be able to look at a scene, and describe the light, and actually understand why it looks the way it does. And then you’ll know all the options you have for controlling and changing it to suit your tastes.
Fantastic Fundamental Light Skills is a starting point for a lifetime of discovering light. It sets you up with the fundamental principles that can be used to explain every single lighting scenario.
That’s the wonderful thing about light: whether you’re shooting weddings or landscapes; with studio lights, natural light or flashes – light always behaves according to the same basic principles.
And this guide will teach them to you, in the fastest, easiest, and funnest way possible!
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL LEARN…
When you pick up Fantastic Fundamental Light Skills, you’ll get a beautiful, 125 page eBook that will help you develop a deep understanding of light. This guide will change the way you see the world!
A couple tips: First, don’t underestimate the value of learning the fundamentals of light. This is the stuff you’ll build the rest of your photography career on!
Second, if some of this stuff seems scary, don’t worry! We clearly explain and illustrate even the toughest concepts. We know how important it is for you to really understand this stuff.
Here are some of the concepts you’ll understand after completing this book:
- What light is – we skip the long physics lesson and get right to what you need to know.
- Why we see anything at all, and how we see different colors.
- Why your camera sees light differently than you see light, and how you can use it to your advantage.
- The 3 ways that light behaves – reflection, absorption, and transmission – and how to identify the different behaviours in photos.
- The difference between specular reflection and diffuse reflection, and why diffuse reflection is responsible for nearly everything you see.
- The Law of Reflection – how it can help you predict how light will reflect off a surface.
- How to identify shadows, midtones, and highlights in your image and how they change depending on the light.
- What dynamic range is and 3 types of contrast you’ll encounter with photography.
- The 4 different characteristics of Light – Direction, Quality, Intensity, and Color – the importance of deeply understanding these characteristics cannot be understated!
- What makes light soft or hard, and how that completely changes the look of your photos.
- What types of light are more flattering for portraits.
- The Inverse Square Law de-mystified – this one sounds scary, but is actually simple and will be a huge “A-ha!” moment for you.
- The 3 main ways of controlling light in your photos.
- How your camera’s light meter works
- Why chimping can help you get the perfect exposure
- Why you should avoid working with mixed colours of light
- 3 ways you can control the appearance of the direction of light
- How to work with light when you don’t have control of it
- Questions to ask yourself to help you analyze the light around you and in a scene
- Questions to ask yourself when viewing a photograph – this will help you recognize what types of light you like and reverse engineer how different photos are lit
- What to expect in various real world lighting situations – indoor light, window light, and outdoor light throughout the day and in different weather conditions
- And a whole lot more! Check out the Table of Contents below! Awesome!
**Make sure to use the links on this page to get the deal, and the discount will automatically be applied to your cart. Easy! **