Cihan Ünalan is very much like many other boys (or men, for that matter). We all love our cars, especially those celebrated in the movies. Cars we love is his homage to this special breed on four wheels, the super vehicles that lit up the silver screen, elevating them to iconic status, sometimes even surpassing the films they appeared in.
You might be wondering though, that this project may seem a tad ambitious, considering that some of these cars are either in museums or part of some millionaire’s exclusive collection. Ünalan knows better, and uses car models instead. He is able to shoot these scaled down replicas using lighting techniques and some amount of image manipulation to conceal that they are models.
Among those featured in this ongoing project is the Batmobile and its many variations, starting with the 1960s based Lincoln Futura concept car whose shape is recognizable worldwide from the campy TV series.
Appearing also are the variants from Batman and Batman Returns as well as Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The Ghostbusters’ Ecto-1 proudly takes its place in the series, and so does the Delorean, one of the most disastrous attempts at a sports car, but guaranteed a place in everyone’s memory thanks to Back to the Future.
The pictures are superb quality, similar to the prototype images released by car manufacturers, and with hardly any evidence they are scale models.
Ünalan is reportedly open to suggestions so here are a few:
- The 1976 Limited Edition Ford Gran Torino from Starsky and Hutch
- The 1969 General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard
- The 1963 Volkswagen Beetle from Herbie
- The 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T from Vanishing Point
- The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang vintage racing car from the 1968 film
- And last but certainly not the least, two cars that dueled in a movie from 1968; Yes, Bullitt.
- The Black 1968 Dodge Charger 440 Magnum
- The Highland Green 1968 Ford Mustang 390 GT 2+2 Fastback driven by legendary Steve McQueen.
We wish the Istanbul-based photographer all the best as he continues with Cars we love, and hope he obliges someday with some of these photos.